Preparation before applying an ephemeral tattoo
Before applying your ephemeral tattoo, it's essential to properly prepare the skin to ensure a successful, long-lasting application.
Here are a few tips:
- Choose the right location: Select an area of your body where the skin is flat and smooth. Avoid areas with lots of hair, wrinkles or near joints, as the skin will move after application.
- Shave the area if necessary: Hair can prevent the tattoo from adhering well to the skin. Shaving the chosen area will provide a smooth surface for the tattoo. It is generally advisable to shave your skin 24 to 48 hours before applying an ephemeral tattoo.
- Clean the skin: Use a soft cloth and antibacterial soap to thoroughly clean and degrease the area where you're going to apply the tattoo. You can also use a wipe, such as The Flash Tattoo's, which is supplied when you order ephemeral tattoos. Then dry the area well with a clean towel or let the skin area air dry.
Exfoliate lightly: Exfoliation will remove dead skin cells, enabling better tattoo transfer. Use a gentle scrub or exfoliating glove and rinse the area thoroughly. Ideally, this should be done several hours before applying the tattoo.
Detailed steps for applying an ephemeral tattoo
Follow these simple steps to apply your ephemeral tattoo:
- Remove the protective film: Most ephemeral tattoos are protected by a transparent plastic film. Remove it carefully before applying the tattoo to the skin.
- Position the tattoo on the skin: Carefully place the ephemeral tattoo face down on the skin, making sure that the placement is correct and that the design is positioned as desired. For larger designs, it may be helpful to ask a friend for help, or to use a mirror.
- Wet the backing paper: Soak a sponge in water and squeeze out excess water. Apply the sponge to the back of the tattoo to moisten the paper completely. Maintain constant pressure for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove backing paper: Check that the tattoo has adhered correctly to the skin by slightly lifting one corner of the paper. When the tattoo has transferred well, gently remove the paper.
- Allow to dry: Let the tattoo air dry for a few minutes without touching it. Avoid rubbing the tattoo for a few hours after application.
- Wait 24 hours: On application, the tattoo is transparent and its color will reveal itself over the hours. The ephemeral tattoo will look like a real tattoo after 24 hours.
- Enjoy your ephemeral tattoo: Depending on the location on the body, you can enjoy your tattoo for several days to several weeks, making everyone around you think you've got a real tattoo.
Tips for lasting, aesthetic results
Here are a few additional suggestions to help you prolong the life of your ephemeral tattoo and keep it in perfect condition for as long as possible:
- Avoid putting too much stress on the tattoo area: Rubbing with jewelry/watches or sweat can prematurely fade or alter the ephemeral tattoo. Try to mimic these actions as much as possible to keep your tattoo as long as possible.
- Moisturize the skin: Keep the tattoo as long as possible, by moisturizing your skin 8 hours after application. You can repeat the operation on subsequent days.
- Limit scrubbing: To ensure your tattoo lasts as long as possible, avoid exfoliating or scrubbing the tattooed area. The abrasive side of scrubbing will alter the color of the tattoo, causing it to fade little by little.
- Cover the tattoo for the first night: After the tattoo has been applied, it is possible for it to transfer unintentionally to another area of the body if it is in prolonged contact with the tattoo. Once the tattoo is revealed, there is little risk of transfer and you can live freely with your tattoo.
By following these tips, you'll be able to enjoy your ephemeral tattoo for several days or even weeks, depending on the location of the tattoo and your daily activities. Feel free to visit our online store to choose from a wide selection of ephemeral tattoo designs and styles to express your unique personality through body art.